This medication is an immunomodulator, prescribed for multiple sclerosis.
Usual Adult Dose for Multiple Sclerosis:
Adult- Start at 8.8 mcg subcutaneously three times per week for 2 weeks, then give 22 mcg subcutaneously three times per week for 2 weeks, on week 5 start the recommended daily dose of 44 mcg subcutaneously three times per week.
IM: 30 mcg IM once weekly.
Child- 22 mcg subcutaneously three times per week.
IM: 15 mcg IM every week.
It comes as a powder to be mixed into a solution for injection, and also as a prefilled injection syringe to be administered by a healthcare provider either into the large muscle or under the skin.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of anemia, low platelets, low white blood cells, heart disease, liver disease, depression, psychosis, sleeping disorders, suicidal thoughts, epilepsy, thyroid disease, history of alcohol dependence, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• It may cause flu-like syndrome with symptoms such as headache, fever, chills, sweating, muscle aches, nausea, vomiting and tiredness; if condition becomes severe, consult with your doctor.
• Most Common:
Influenza-like symptoms (headache, fatigue, fever, rigors, chest pain, back pain, muscle pain), abdominal pain, depression, elevated liver enzymes level and blood disorder.
• Local: Injection site reactions and injection site necrosis.
• Central Nervous System : Muscle tightness, poor coordination, epilepsy and drowsiness.
• Metabolic: Thyroid disorder.
• Gastrointestinal : Abdominal pain and dry mouth.
• Liver: Increased level of liver enzymes and abnormal liver function.
• Musculo-Skeletal : Muscle/joint/back pain.
• Blood: Decrease in blood cells, anemia and swelling of lymph nodes.
• Skin: Rash and redness.
• Genitourinary: Increased urinary frequency and urinary incontinence.
• Eye : Abnormal vision.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it in refrigerator (2°-8°C), and in an airtight container. Do not freeze it.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!