Information about Hydrochlorothiazide
Generic Name : Hydrochlorothiazide
Pronunciation : hye droe klor oh thye' a zide
Latest prescription information about Hydrochlorothiazide. Learn how to pronounce the drug's name, its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the International and Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
ICD Code : Y54.5
Therapeutic Classification : Diuretics
Trade Names/Brand Names of Hydrochlorothiazide
Why is Hydrochlorothiazide Prescribed? (Indications)
This medication is a thiazide diuretic, prescribed for high blood pressure (hypertension) and edema. It helps the kidneys to remove fluid from the body.
When should Hydrochlorothiazide not be taken? (Contraindications)
Contraindicated in patients with urination problem, who are taking potassium-sparing agents and hypersensitivity.
What is the dosage of Hydrochlorothiazide?
Adult- HTN- The recommended dose is 12.5 to 50 mg once daily.
Edema- The recommended dose is 25-100 mg once daily or in divided doses.
How should Hydrochlorothiazide be taken?
It comes as a tablet and liquid to take by mouth, with food.
What are the warnings and precautions for Hydrochlorothiazide?
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of diabetes, gout, asthma or kidney, liver, thyroid disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• It may raise blood sugar level, monitor sugar level regularly while taking this medication.
• Monitor kidney function, blood pressure and electrolyte levels while taking this medication.
What are the side effects of Hydrochlorothiazide?
• Body as a whole :
• Hypersensitivity :
Rash, hives, shock and photosensitivity.
• Heart :
Abnormal heart rhythm and low blood pressure.
• Metabolic :
• Gastrointestinal :
Jaundice and/or liver enzyme abnormalities, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation and abdominal pain.
• Genitourinary :
• Blood :
Decrease in white blood cells and anemia.
• Musculoskeletal :
• Central Nervous System :
Weakness, fatigue, dizziness, headache, dry mouth, tingling and vertigo.
• Miscellaneous :
• Eye :
• Respiratory :
Lung swelling and respiratory distress.
• Skin :
What are the other precautions for Hydrochlorothiazide?
Avoid exposure to sunlight.
What are the storage conditions for Hydrochlorothiazide?
Store it at controlled room temperature (20° to 25°C).