This medication is a thiazide diuretic, prescribed for high blood pressure (hypertension) and edema. It helps the kidneys to remove fluid from the body.
Contraindicated in patients with urination problem, who are taking potassium-sparing agents and hypersensitivity.
Adult- HTN- The recommended dose is 12.5 to 50 mg once daily.
Edema- The recommended dose is 25-100 mg once daily or in divided doses.
It comes as a tablet and liquid to take by mouth, with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of diabetes, gout, asthma or kidney, liver, thyroid disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• It may raise blood sugar level, monitor sugar level regularly while taking this medication.
• Monitor kidney function, blood pressure and electrolyte levels while taking this medication.
• Body as a whole :
• Hypersensitivity : Rash, hives, shock and photosensitivity.
• Heart : Abnormal heart rhythm and low blood pressure.
• Metabolic : Increased sugar.
• Gastrointestinal : Jaundice and/or liver enzyme abnormalities, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation and abdominal pain.
• Genitourinary : Kidney failure.
• Blood : Decrease in white blood cells and anemia.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle cramps.
• Central Nervous System : Weakness, fatigue, dizziness, headache, dry mouth, tingling and vertigo.
• Miscellaneous : Impotence.
• Eye : Blurred vision.
• Respiratory : Lung swelling and respiratory distress.
• Skin : Cell death.
Avoid exposure to sunlight.
Store it at controlled room temperature (20° to 25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!