This medication is a tranquilizer, prescribed for schizophrenia. It may block certain chemicals in the brain.
Contraindicated in patients with coma, Parkinson’s disease, severe central nervous system depression and hypersensitivity.
Acute problems: IM/PO- The recommended dose is 1 mg to 5 mg (up to 10 mg) Maximum: 100 mg daily.
IV- The recommended dose is 5 to 10 mg as a single dose. Chronic conditions: 0.5 to 20 mg daily orally
It comes as a tablet and concentrated liquid to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of blood disease porphyria, decrease in white blood cells, electrolyte disturbances, high or low blood pressure, dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, seizures, abnormal electroencephalogram (EEG), thyroid problems, neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS), heart diseases, cancer, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight; otherwise it may cause sunburn easily.
• Avoid becoming overheated; otherwise heatstroke may occur.
• Patient may develop with increased risk of neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS), involuntary movements with the following symptoms: fever, stiff muscles, confusion, abnormal thinking, fast or irregular heartbeat and sweating. If it is so consult with your doctor.
• Rarely it may cause prolonged or painful erection; if it is so consult with your doctor.
• Heart :
Fast heart rate and low/high blood pressure.
• Central Nervous System : Movement disorder, sleeplessness, restlessness, anxiety, elevated mood, agitation, drowsiness, depression, lethargy, headache, confusion, vertigo and seizures.
• Body as a Whole : Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS).
• Blood : Anemia and decrease in white blood cells.
• Liver : Impaired liver function and/or jaundice.
• Skin : Pimples, photosensitivity and loss of hair.
• Genitourinary : Spontaneous milk secretion, breast engorgement, menstrual irregularities, breast enlargement in male, impotence, increased sexual drive and urinary retention.
• Gastrointestinal : Loss of appetite, constipation, diarrhea, increased salivation, indigestion, nausea, vomiting and dry mouth.
• Respiratory : Asthma.
• Eye : Visual disturbances.
• Metabolic : Increased sugar.
It may affect blood sugar; monitor blood sugar regularly while taking this medication.
Avoid contact with people who have infections.
Store it at controlled room temperature (15°-30°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Birth Control Implant is a long-acting birth control contraceptive inserted into the arm. It is a ...
Mastocytosis is a rare condition marked by accumulation of mast cells under the skin and various ...
Lusutrombopag is used to treat abnormally low platelet counts (thrombocytopenia) in adult patients ...View All