This medication is a narrow spectrum macrocyclic antibiotic, prescribed for clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea (CDAD). It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
The recommended dose is one 200 mg tablet orally twice daily for 10 days.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of infection, any allergy, who are taking other medications, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Blood :
Anemia, decrease in white blood cells.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, gastrointestinal bleeding, abdominal distension, abdominal tenderness, indigestion, difficulty in swallowing, flatulence, intestinal obstruction, megacolon.
• Investigations : Increased blood alkaline phosphatase level, decreased blood bicarbonate, increased hepatic enzymes, and decreased platelet count.
• Metabolic : Increased blood sugar, metabolic acidosis.
• Skin : Drug eruption, itching, rash.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store at 20°C-25°C.