This medication is a progestin, prescribed for preventing pregnancy. It works by preventing ovulation.
Contraindicated in patients with cancer of the breast, acute porphyrias, abnormal vaginal bleeding, liver impairment, blood clots, and hypersensitivity.
Implant - a single implant should be inserted between Day 1 and Day 5 of the menstrual cycle, , even if the woman is still bleeding.
It comes as subdermal implant, to be inserted just under the skin of a woman's upper arm.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of active blood clot in the vein, migraine, cervical cancer, stroke, angina or heart attack, smoking, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, liver cancer, cirrhosis, gallbladder disease, jaundice, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• A well-trained healthcare provider should administer it.
• Rule out pregnancy before inserting the implant.
• No preceding hormonal contraceptive use in the past month.
• Most Common :
Bleeding irregularities, emotional lability, weight increase, headache, pimples, depression, breast pain, abdominal pain, inflammation of pharynx, white dischage, influenza-like symptoms, dizziness, painful menstruation, back pain, nausea, pain, nervousness, depression, hypersensitivity, insertion site pain.
• Gastrointestinal : Constipation, diarrhea, flatulence, vomiting.
• General : Fluid retention, fatigue, implant site reaction, fever.
• Infections : Urinary tract infection.
• Investigations: Increase in blood pressure, decreased weight.
• Metabolic : Increased appetite.
• Musculoskeletal : Joint pain, muscle pain.
• Central Nervous system : Convulsions, migraine, and drowsiness.
• Psychiatric : Anxiety, sleeplessness, decreased libido.
• Genitourinary : Painful urination, breast discharge, breast enlargement, ovarian cyst, genital itching, vulvovaginal discomfort.
• Skin : Angioedema and/or aggravation of hereditary angioedema, hair loss, hypertrichosis, itching, rash, increased sweating, hives.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store this medication as directed by your physician.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!