This medication is a recombinant form of human activated protein C, prescribed for life threatening bacterial infections like severe sepsis (sepsis combined with organ malfunction).
Contraindicated in patients with high risk of intrinsic bleeding, stroke, epidural catheter, trauma, brain tumor and known hypersensitivity.
Adults-Infuse intravenously at 24 mcg/kg/hr (based on actual body weight) for a total duration of 96 hours.
It comes as a solution to be injected by a doctor or hospital staff.
• It may cause severe bleeding, lie down in the bed during the treatment.
• Monitor complete blood count, liver and kidney functions regularly while taking this medication.
• Caution needed for patients with history of kidney disease, liver disease, HIV, organ transplants, stroke, head or spinal surgeries, ulcers, low platelet count, pregnancy, breastfeeding and any form of allergies.
• Most Common:
High risk of bleeding in gastrointestinal tract, abdominal tract, brain (hemorrhagic stroke), skin and chest cavity.
• Blood: Decrease in the platelet count.
• Genitourinary: Renal failure, blood in urine.
Take full course of treatment.
Store it in refrigerator at 2-8°C, and in an airtight container. Do not freeze it.