This medication is a recombinant form of human activated protein C, prescribed for life-threatening bacterial infections like severe sepsis (sepsis combined with organ malfunction).
Contraindicated in patients with high risk of intrinsic bleeding, stroke, epidural catheter, trauma, brain tumor and known hypersensitivity.
Adults-Infuse intravenously at 24 mcg/kg/hr (based on actual body weight) for a total duration of 96 hours.
It comes as a solution to be injected by a doctor or hospital staff.
• It may cause severe bleeding, lie down in the bed during the treatment.
• Monitor complete blood count, liver and kidney functions regularly while taking this medication.
• Caution needed for patients with history of kidney disease, liver disease, HIV, organ transplants, stroke, head or spinal surgeries, ulcers, low platelet count, pregnancy, breastfeeding and any form of allergies.
• Most Common: High risk of bleeding in gastrointestinal tract, abdominal tract, brain (hemorrhagic stroke), skin and chest cavity.
• Blood: Decrease in the platelet count.
• Genitourinary: Renal failure, blood in urine.
Take full course of treatment.
Store it in refrigerator at 2-8°C, and in an airtight container. Do not freeze it.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!