This medication is an antidepressant, prescribed for depression. It blocks the activity of acetylcholine and histamine and affects the action of serotonin and norepinephrine.
Contraindicated in patients with increased eye pressure, urinary retention and hypersensitivity.
Adult: PO- Initial: 75 mg/day, up to 300 mg/day in severely depressed patients. Total daily dose is more than 100 mg should be given in divided doses.
It comes as a capsule and syrup to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of enlarged prostate, diabetes, seizures, an overactive thyroid gland, liver, kidney or heart disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Anticholinergic Effects :
Dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation and urinary retention.
• Central Nervous System : Drowsiness, confusion, disorientation, hallucinations, numbness, tingling, incoordination, seizures, tardive dyskinesia and tremor.
• Heart : Low/high blood pressure and fast heart rate.
• Allergic : Skin rash, swelling in the face, lips, eyes, mouth, light sensitivity and itching.
• Blood : Eosinophilia, bone marrow depression and bruising.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, vomiting, indigestion, taste disturbances, diarrhea and loss of appetite.
• Genitourinary : Raised or lowered sexual drive, testicular swelling, breast enlargement in males, spontaneous milk secretion in females and raising or lowering of blood sugar levels.
• Miscellaneous : Dizziness, ringing in the ear, weight gain, increased sweating, chills, fatigue, weakness, flushing, jaundice, hair loss, headache and fever.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature, and in an airtight container.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Kleine Levin (KLS) or sleeping beauty syndrome is a rare neurological disorder that primarly ...
LADA or Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood is a form of type 1 autoimmune diabetes that can be ...
Sleep paralysis is a condition where one feels unable to move (paralysis) or speak either when ...View All