This medication is a non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTI), prescribed for HIV-1 infection. It blocks the growth of HIV.
Contraindicated in patients who are taking drugs that are highly dependent on CYP3A and hypersensitivity.
The recommended dosage is 400 mg (four 100 mg or two 200mg tablets) three times daily.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of liver problem, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children less than 16 years old, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It does not prevent spreading of infections to others; avoid sexual contact, share needles, or other injection equipment.
• ♦Patient may develop Immune reconstitution syndrome.
• Body as a Whole :
Abdominal cramps, distention, pain; accumulation of pus, allergic reaction, chills, fluid retention, fever, infection and uneasiness.
• Heart : Abnormal heart rate and rhythm, heart insufficiency, heart muscle problem, high blood pressure, headache, blood vessels disorder, and low blood pressure.
• Gastrointestinal : Loss of appetite, bloody stool, intestinal inflammation, constipation, diarrhea, dry mouth, indigestion, difficulty in swallowing, enteritis at all levels, burping or belching, fecal incontinence, flatulence, gagging, stomach inflammation, reflux, gastrointestinal bleeding, gum inflammation, gum bleeding, liver enlargement, increased appetite, increased saliva, increased thirst, jaundice, mouth or tongue inflammation or ulcers, liver/pancreas inflammation, tooth abscess, and toothache.
• Blood : Bruising, eosinophilia, decrease in white blood cells and platelets and prolonged blood clotting time.
• Metabolic : Decrease or increase in blood minerals.
• Musculoskeletal : Joint pain/inflammation, bone disorder, bone pain, muscle pain, tendon disorder, and low calcium.
• Central Nervous System : Abnormal coordination, agitation, memory loss, change in dreams, confusion, decreased sexual activity, disorientation, dizziness, emotional lability, hallucination, increased muscle tone, impaired concentration, manic symptoms, muscle cramp, nervousness, night blindness, paralysis, restlessness, sleep cycle disorder, drowsiness, tingling, tremor, vertigo, and weakness.
• Respiratory : Chest congestion, difficulty in breathing, nose bleed, hiccups, pneumonia, and nose inflammation.
• Skin : Life threatening allergic reactions, skin inflammation, increased sweating, discolored skin, dry skin, redness, fungal infection, hair loss, nail disorder, itching, skin scar, skin nodule, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, hives, rash, and wart.
• Eye and ENT : Blurred vision, eye inflammation, double vision, dry eyes, ear pain, sensitivity to light, taste perversion, and ringing in the ear.
• Genitourinary : Absence of menstrual periods, breast enlargement, kidney stone, blood urine, impaired urination, impotence, kidney pain, irregular periods, nighttime urination, testicular pain, urinary tract infection, and vaginal infection.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (20° to 25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!