This medication is a glucocorticoid, prescribed for anti-inflammatory conditions, and used as an immunosuppressant. It is a prodrug.
Contraindicated in patients who are receiving immunosuppressive vaccines, who have infections and hypersensitivity.
Adult: PO- Initial: Up to 120 mg/day. Maintenance: 3-18 mg/day.
Child: Tablet: 0.25-1.5 mg/kg/day given on alternate days. Suspension: 5ml - 60ml per day.
It comes as a tablet, suspension and syrup to take by mouth, with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of adrenal suppression, infections (ex- chickenpox , shingles , measles ) children, elderly, tuberculosis, muscle pain, recent heart attack, high blood pressure, heart failure, liver failure, kidney impairment, sugar, increased eye pressure, osteoporosis, corneal damage, epilepsy, peptic ulcer, under active thyroid, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Avoid long-term use of this medication and abrupt withdrawal.
• Avoid contact with people with infections that can be spread to others.
• Patients may develop with increased risk of confusion, irritability, nightmares, difficulty sleeping, mood changes and depression, and suffer from delusions and suicidal thoughts if it is taken excess; if it is so consult with your doctor.
• Metabolic :
Increased blood sugar, increased appetite and weight gain.
• Gastrointestinal : Indigestion, abdominal bloating, nausea, ulceration in the stomach or intestine, inflammation of the pancreas and throat ulcer.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle weakness and thinning of bones.
• Skin : Pimples, bruising, stretch marks, increased sweating, change in pigmentation and increased hair growth.
• Central Nervous System : Mood changes including irritability, depression and suicidal thoughts, psychotic reactions, anxiety, confusion, memory loss and sleep disturbances.
• Genitourinary : Irregular periods.
• Heart : High blood pressure.
• Miscellaneous : Blood clot events and hiccups.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature (25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Gastrointestinal bleeding refers to hemorrhage that occurs from one or more portions of the ...
Simple, quick, and easy methods can be included in your diet or exercise routine, which can help ...
Necrotizing fasciitis is a rare life threatening bacterial infection of the tissue below the skin ...View All