This medication is prescribed for blood cancer(Chronic Myeloid Leukemia). It is a protein-tyrosinekinase inhibitor. It blocks the action of an abnormal protein that signals cancer cells to multiply.
Chronic Phase CML Adults-
Start with 100 mg orally once daily in the morning or evening. May increase dosage to 140 mg once daily in patients who do not achieve a hematologic or cytogenetic response.
Accelerated Phase CML, Myeloid or Lymphoid Blast Phase CML, or Ph+ ALL Adults- Start with 140 mg once daily in the morning or evening. May escalate dosage to 180 mg once daily in patients who do not achieve a hematologic or cytogenetic response.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth. It is usually taken twice a day, in the morning and evening, with or without food.
• Men should use condom to avoid pregnancy when having sex with partner.
• It may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths.
• Lab tests, including liver and kidney function, blood electrolytes, and blood counts, may be performed while using this medication.
• Caution should be exercised patients who had lactose intolerance, low levels of potassium or magnesium in your blood, long QT syndrome (a heart condition that may cause dizziness, fainting, or irregular heartbeat), or liver or heart disease, pregnancy and breast feeding.
• Central Nervous System:
Headache, dizziness, confusion, depression, mood or mental changes, signs of bleeding in the brain, seizures.
• Heart: Chest pain, irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath.
• Gastrointestinal: Nausea, vomiting, sores in the mouth, severe or persistent diarrhea, blood in the vomit.
• Skin: Skin rash, peeling skin, red, swollen, or blistered skin.
• Miscellaneous: Muscle pain, tiredness, weight loss, change in the amount of urine, dry cough, fainting, irritation or, ringing in the ears.
Use with caution in patients receiving anticoagulants or medications that may inhibit platelet function.
Store at 25°C. Store it in an airtight container and keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!