This medication is an antiviral agent, prescribed for cytomegalovirus(CMV) infection in HIV/AIDS patients. It suppresses CMV replication.
IV- Induction- The recommended induction dose is 5 mg/kg body weight administered once weekly for two consecutive weeks. Maintenance- 5mg/kg/body weight.
It comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of kidney or liver disease, sugar, blood problem, any allergy, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breast-feeding.
• It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid contact with people who have infections.
• It may affect blood sugar level; monitor sugar level regularly while taking this medication.
• Avoid long-term use of this medication.
• Severe Effects :
Kidney damage, decrease in white blood cells, decreased eye pressure and eye inflammation.
• Body as a Whole : Abdominal pain, accidental injury, AIDS, allergic reaction, back pain, chest pain, chills and fever, cyst, death, face edema, flu-like syndrome, injection site reaction, uneasiness, neck pain, sensitivity to light and sepsis.
• Heart : Heart failure, high blood pressure, low blood pressure, migraine, pallor, shock, fainting, fast heart rate and fluid retention.
• Gastrointestinal : Intestinal inflammation, constipation, indigestion, difficulty in swallowing, fecal incontinence, flatulence, gastrointestinal bleeding, gum inflammation, liver inflammation, liver enlargement, jaundice, abnormal liver function, liver damage, blood in stool, inflammation of pancreas, rectal disorder, mouth ulcer, tongue discoloration and tooth caries.
• Blood : Anemia, decrease in white blood cells and platelets.
• Metabolic : Loss of weight, dehydration, increase or decrease in blood minerals, increased Blood Urea Nitrogen, swelling in the extremities, respiratory alkalosis, thirst and weight gain.
• Musculoskeletal : Joint pain, bone necrosis, bone pain, joint disorder, leg cramps, muscle pain and fractures.
• Central Nervous System : Abnormal dreams, abnormal gait, acute brain syndrome, agitation, memory loss, anxiety, incoordination, stroke, confusion, convulsion, confusion, loss of brain function, depression, dizziness, drug dependence, dry mouth, hallucinations, paralysis, increased sensitivity, increased sexual drive, sleeplessness, nervousness, tingling, personality disorder, drowsiness, speech disorder, tremor, twitching and dilatation of blood vessels.
• Respiratory : Asthma, nosebleed, hiccup, fast breathing, oxygen deficiency, increased sputum, lung disorder, inflammation of nose and sinus.
• Skin : Pimples, life-threatening allergic reactions, dry skin, blister, nail disorder, itching, rash, skin discoloration, skin scar, skin ulcer, sweating and hives.
• Eye and ENT : Abnormal vision, blindness, cataract, eye inflammation, lesion, double vision, dry eyes, ear pain, ear inflammation, refraction disorder, taste perversion, ringing in the ear, visual field defect and hearing loss.
• Genitourinary : Painful urination, blood in urine, kidney stone, irregular periods, night time urination, frequent urination, kidney damage, urinary incontinence, urinary retention, urinary tract infection.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (20°-25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!