Information about Cefixime
Generic Name : Cefixime
Pronunciation : sef ix' eem
Latest prescription information about Cefixime. Learn how to pronounce the drug's name, its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the International and Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
ICD Code : Y40.1
Therapeutic Classification : Antibiotics
Trade Names/Brand Names of Cefixime
Why is Cefixime Prescribed? (Indications)
This medication is an oral cephalosporin (third generation) antibiotic, prescribed for gonorrhea, tonsilitis and pharyngitis. It works by fighting against the bacteria in the body.
When should Cefixime not be taken? (Contraindications)
What is the dosage of Cefixime?
Adult: PO- Susceptible infections- The recommended dose is 200-400 mg/day.
Uncomplicated gonorrhoea- The recommended dose is 400 mg as a single dose.
How should Cefixime be taken?
It comes as a tablet, capsule and syrup to take by mouth, with food.
What are the warnings and precautions for Cefixime?
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of diarrhea, stomach or bowel problems (eg, inflammation), bleeding or blood clotting problems, kidney or liver problems, poor nutrition, any allergy, who are taking other medications, children, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
• It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Avoid changing dose forms (eg, tablets, suspension) without your doctor’s advice.
• Take full course of treatment.
What are the side effects of Cefixime?
• Most Common :
Diarrhea, loose or frequent stools, abdominal pain, nausea, stomach upset and flatulence.
• Hypersensitivity :
Skin rashes, hives, fever, itching and facial swelling.
• Liver :
Elevated liver enzymes level, jaundice and liver inflammation.
• Genitourinary :
Transient elevations in BUN or creatinine levels and kidney failure.
• Central Nervous System:
Headache, dizziness and seizures.
• Blood :
Decrease in blood cell counts.
• Other :
Genital itching, vaginal inflammation/fungal infection and skin disorders.
What are the other precautions for Cefixime?
It may reduce platelet counts, avoid injury or bruising.
Avoid any vaccination during the treatment.
What are the storage conditions for Cefixime?
Store it at room temperature and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.