This medication is a barbiturate, prescribed for short-term treatment of insomnia. It is also used to relieve anxiety. It works by slowing activity in the brain.
Contraindicated in patients with history of manifest or latent porphyria and hypersensitivity.
Usual adult dosage-
Daytime sedative - 15 to 30 mg, 3 or 4 times daily.
Bedtime hypnotic - 50 to 100 mg.
Preoperative sedative - 50 to 100 mg, 60 to 90 minutes before surgery.
Usual pediatric dosage- Preoperative sedative - 2 to 6 mg/kg maximum 100 mg.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Most Common :
• Central nervous system : Agitation, confusion, hyperactivity, involuntary movement, CNS depression, abnormal dreams, nervousness, mental disturbances, hallucinations, sleeplessness, anxiety and abnormal thinking.
• Respiratory : Difficulty in breathing.
• Heart : Slow heart rate, low blood pressure and fainting.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, vomiting and constipation.
• Miscellaneous : Headache, severe allergic reactions, fever and liver damage.
Avoid long-term use of this drug; otherwise patient may get addicted to this drug.
Avoid excess dosage.
If there is no improvement in your condition after 1-week period of treatment, consult with your doctor.
Store it at controlled room temperature 20°-25°C. Keep this medication in an airtight container and keep away from children.