This medication is a dopamine agonist, prescribed for Parkinson’s disease either alone or with other medications. It is also used for galactorrhoea (abnormal milk production), hypogonadism (reduced hormone production by sex hormones), infertility, suppressed lactation and menstrual disorders.
Contraindicated in patients with uncontrolled high blood pressure, severe ischemic heart disease, breast cancer, during pregnancy and lactation and hypersensitivity.
Adult: PO- Parkinson's disease - As adjunct to levodopa: 1st week: 1-1.25 mg at night, 2nd week: 2-2.5 mg at night; 3rd week: 2.5 mg twice daily; 4th week: 2.5 mg 3 times/day, then increase as needed. Maintenance: 10-40 mg/day.
Galactorrhoea; Hypogonadism; Infertility- 1-1.25 mg at bedtime, increase gradually. Max: 30 mg/day.
Adjunct to surgery and radiotherapy in patients with acromegaly Initial: 2.5 mg twice daily, increase slowly, up to 5 mg 6 hourly if needed.
Lactation suppression- 2.5 mg/day for 2-3 days, up to 2.5 mg twice daily for 14 days.
Prevention of puerperal lactation- 2.5 mg on the day of delivery, then 2.5 mg twice daily for 14 days.
Cyclical benign breast and menstrual disorders- 2.5 mg twice daily.
It comes as a tablet and capsule to take by mouth, with food.
• It may cause drowsiness. Do not drive a car or operate dangerous machinery while taking this medication.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart attack, slow/fast/irregular heartbeat, mental illness, low blood pressure, ulcer, stomach bleeding, Raynaud's syndrome, heart, kidney or liver disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications.
• It may cause dizziness, nausea, sweating and fainting when you get up too quickly from a lying position; to avoid this problem get up slowly from bed.
• Use proper contraception methods to prevent pregnancy while taking this medication.
• It can decrease blood circulation in the fingers and toes, especially during exposure to cold. Keep hands and feet warm during cold weather.
• Gastrointestinal :
Nausea, vomiting, gastric hemorrhage, abdominal cramps, constipation and diarrhea.
• Central Nervous System : Dizziness, headache, drowsiness, depression, postural hypotension, hallucinations, confusion and psychosis.
• Respiratory : Nasal congestion and pleural effusion.
• Genitourinary : Urinary frequency, urinary incontinence, urinary retention and increased Blood Urea Nitrogen.
Avoid alcohol consumption.
Use proper contraception methods to prevent pregnancy while taking this medication.
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed and out of the reach of children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Trichotillomania is a hair pulling disorder where a person urges to pull out hair from their scalp, ...
Dental Anxiety is kind of dental phobia where a person has a fear of going to dentist mainly due to ...
Kleine Levin (KLS) or sleeping beauty syndrome is a rare neurological disorder that primarly ...View All