Baloxavir marboxil tablets are prescribed to treat flu or acute uncomplicated influenza in patients who are aged 12 years and above. It should be taken within 48 hours of the outbreak or onset of the flu symptoms.
Flu is a severe or contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses. Baloxavir marboxil effectively reduces the flu symptoms and the duration of the illness if taken as soon as the symptoms are recognized.
Baloxavir marboxil works by stopping the action of polymerase acidic (PA) protein, a specific protein involved in the multiplication of the virus causing flu or influenza.
Baloxavir marboxil should not be used in patients-
• If there is an allergy to baloxavir marboxil
• To treat infections other than flu
• Children below 12 years of age
• Weighing less than 40 kg or 88 pounds
• Who received live flu or influenza vaccine very recently
The dose of baloxavir marboxil is calculated based on the body weight of the individual patient.
The recommended dose of baloxavir marboxil is 40 mg in patients who weigh about 40 kg to 79 kg of body weight.
Patients who weigh 80 kg and above should be prescribed 80 mg of baloxavir marboxil.
Baloxavir marboxil is available in a tablet form and should be taken as a single dose orally either with or without food.
Swallow the baloxavir marboxil tablet as a whole with a sufficient quantity of water.
Avoid taking baloxavir marboxil tablets along with milk or milk products, calcium-rich beverages, laxatives for softening the stools, antacids, and oral supplements containing iron, calcium, selenium, zinc, and magnesium.
• Consult the doctor immediately if the flu symptoms do not get better or if any new symptoms or signs of any illness occur during or after the treatment with baloxavir marboxil.
• There is no particular antidote to treat a baloxavir marboxil overdose. Therefore, patients must be provided with adequate supportive therapy and should be treated for the symptoms or signs appropriately under medical supervision.
• Caution is required while treating elderly patients and patients with severe liver or kidney damage.
• Patients should be advised to inform the doctor before taking a baloxavir marboxil tablet if they are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Do not give or recommend baloxavir marboxil tablets to another person even in the presence of similar symptoms of flu.
Before prescribing baloxavir marboxil, the doctor must be informed if the patient is taking or planning to take any prescription drugs, Over-The-Counter (OTC) pills or herbal supplements to avoid dangerous drug interactions.
Patients should be advised to inform the doctor before receiving live flu vaccine after taking the baloxavir marboxil tablets as these may affect the effectiveness of the vaccine.
Store baloxavir marboxil tablets at room temperature between 20°C and 25°C.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!