This medication is monobactam antibiotic, prescribed for serious infections caused by susceptible gram negative bacteria like urinary tract infection, lower respiratory tract infection. It works by killing sensitive bacteria that cause infection.
IV/IM -Gram negative infections- 1 to 8 g/day in divided doses depending on severity. Max: 8 g/day.
Urinary tract infection- 0.5 to1 g 8 to12 hours.
IM Cystitis; Gonorrhoea -1 g as a single dose.
Inhalation- 75 mg 3 times daily (at least 4 h apart) for 28 days.
It is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. Inhalation: Do not administer with any other nebulizer.
• Do not use this medication if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
• Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials.
• Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious form of diarrhea (pseudo membranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away.
• Hypersensitivity to other β-lactams.
• Harmful to liver or kidney functions, and pregnancy.
• Central Nervous System:
Seizures, confusion, vertigo, tingling, dizziness.
• Skin: Inhalation- Rash.
• Eye and ENT: Inhalation - Nasal congestion, pharyngolaryngeal pain.
• Gastrointestinal: Inhalation - Abdominal pain, vomiting.
Injection - Diarrhea, nausea, pseudomembranous colitis, vomiting.
• Local: Inflammation of vein after IV administration, pain/swelling at IM injection site.
• Respiratory: Inhalation - Cough, wheezing, asthma.
Injection- Difficulty in breathing.
• Miscellaneous: Inhalation Chest discomfort, fever. Injection - Fever.
Avoid long-term use, otherwise it will cause secondary infection.
Injection: Once reconstituted, it should be used within 48 hr if stored at 15-30°C or 7 days if stored at 2-8°C. Do not freeze it.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!