This medication is a macrolide antibiotic used for various bacterial infections such as infections of the middle ear, throat, bronchus, sinuses, skin and soft tissue. It is also useful in treating pneumonia, typhoid, gonorrhoea, granuloma inguinale and chancroid. It prevents bacterial growth.
Adult: PO- Respiratory tract, Skin and soft tissue infections- 500 mg once daily for 3 days. Or 500mg on day 1 followed by 250mg on days 2 to 5.
Typhoid- 500 mg once daily for 7 days.
Uncomplicated gonorrhoea- 2 g single dose.
Granuloma inguinale- Initial: 1 g, then 500 mg/day until all lesions has healed completely.
Chancroid/Chlamydial urethritis: 1 g single dose Prophylaxis of disseminated MAC infections 1.2 g once weekly. Treatment or secondary prophylaxis: administered along with other antimycobacterials: 500 mg once daily.
It comes as a tablet and liquid to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of cystic fibrosis, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), irregular heartbeat, or kidney or liver disease, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Chest pain, abnormal heart rate, low blood pressure, abnormal heart rhythm with QT prolongation and torsades de pointes.
• Gastrointestinal: Indigestion, loss of appetite, flatulence, gastritis, loose stools, vomiting, colitis and constipation.
• Genitourinary: Kidney failure and vaginal inflammation.
• Blood: Decrease in platelets.
• Liver: Abnormal liver function, jaundice and liver failure.
• Central Nervous System: Weakness, tingling, fatigue, uneasiness, dizziness/vertigo, headache, drowsiness, hyperactivity, nervousness, agitation and syncope.
• Skin: Itching, severe allergic reactions, irritation, fungal infection, sweating, hives and blistering.
• ENT: Hearing loss and/or tinnitus, abnormalities in taste and smell sensation.
• Hypersensitivity : Allergic reaction.
• Respiratory: Increased cough, inflammation of pharynx, pleural effusion and rhinitis.
Avoid excess dosage.
Intravenous: Store below 30°C. Store it in room temperature and in an airtight container. Keep away from children and pets.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Alström syndrome, a rare genetic disorder due to ALMS1 mutations, occurs in the first year of ...
Sodium zirconium cyclosilicate was approved by FDA recently to use as an oral suspension for ...
Encephalocele is a birth defect where a sac like protrusion of brain and covering membranes occurs ...View All