This medication is an alpha-2-adrenergic agonist, prescribed for short-term treatment of glaucoma in people who are taking other medications for this condition and still have increased pressure in the eye. It lowers the pressure in the eye by decreasing the amount of fluid produced within the eye. Also could be used in diagnosis of Horner's syndrome.
Contraindicated in patients who are taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAO inhibitors), and hypersensitivity.
One to two drops 0.5% ophthalmic solution should be instilled into the affected eye(s) three times daily.
It comes as 0.5% solution and a 1% solution to instill into the affected eyes as directed by your physician.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of depression, sugar, high blood pressure, stroke, Raynaud's disease, inflammation of the blood vessels, fainting, heart, liver, or kidney disease, who are taking other medications, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Most Common :
Increased blood flow, itching, tearing, discomfort, lid edema, dry mouth, unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth and foreign body sensation.
• Eye : Blanching, blurred vision, pale eye, eye inflammation, red, swollen, itchy, or teary eyes, itching, discharge from eyes, dry eye, foreign body sensation, lid edema and tearing.
• Central Nervous System : Abnormal coordination, weakness, dizziness, depression, headache, sleeplessness, uneasiness, tingling, nervousness and drowsiness.
• Heart : Abnormal heart rhythm, chest pain, chest heaviness or burning.
• Respiratory : Asthma, nose inflammation, shallow breathing, feeling like you might pass out, difficulty in breathing and dry nose.
• Gastrointestinal : Constipation, nausea and inflammation of pharynx.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle pain.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it in refrigerator (2 - 27°C). Protect from from light and avoid freezing.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!