This medication is a recombinant human interleukin 1 antagonist, prescribed for reducing the pain and swelling associated with moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis either alone or in combination with methotrexate to patients (18 years or older) who have had an absence of clinical improvement of symptoms or inadequate response in therapy with one or more disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs). It inhibits the binding of the interleukin 1 to its receptor. It is sometimes used for adult-onset still's disease, gout and pseudogout, juvenile arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, uveitis, and auto-inflammatory syndromes.
Hypersensitivity to Escherichia coli -derived proteins, anakinra, or any component of product. Contraindicated to preexisting malignant diseases (e.g., solid cancers, leukemia) patients with neutropenia due to any reason, severely impaired renal function and preexisting active tuberculosis. Should not be used in combination with anti-TNF agents.
SC- The recommended dose is 100 mg/day. Dose reduction to 100 mg s.c. every other day should be considered in patients with severe renal impairment.
Cryopyrin-Associated Periodic Syndromes (CAPS) - The recommended starting dose is 1-2 mg/kg for NOMID patients. The dose can be individually adjusted to a maximum of 8 mg/kg daily to control active inflammation.
It comes as a solution for injection, administered subcutaneously by a healthcare provider once a day, at the same time every day.
• Avoid vaccination while taking this medication.
• Swelling or bruising at the injection site occurs; apply a cold pack on the injection site immediately after injection.
• It should not be used in children.
• Caution needed for patients with history of infection, asthma, HIV infection or AIDS, or kidney disease, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
• Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials.
• Most Common: Injection site reactions such as redness, bruising, swelling, and pain, low white blood cell count, chest infection, worsening of condition, urinary tract infection, headache, nausea, diarrhea, sinusitis, joint pain, flu like-symptoms, and abdominal pain. Rash, flu-like symptoms, fever, sore throat, chills, and other signs of infection, coughing, wheezing, or chest pain and hot, red, swollen area on the skin.
Patient may experience a decrease in neutrophil counts, monitor complete blood count regularly.
Store it in refrigerator (2 to 8°C) and warmed to room temperature before use. Do not freeze or shake it. Keep away from children and protect from light.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!