This medication is a barbiturate derivative, prescribed for anxiety, insomnia and induction of preanesthetic sedation. It alters cerebellar function and produces drowsiness, sedation and hypnosis
Contraindicated in patients with history of acute or chronic pain, respiratory disease, severe liver impairment, porphyria and hypersensitivity.
PO/IM/IV 65 to 200 mg at bedtime.
Sedation- Adults - PO/IM/IV 30 to 50 mg twice daily or 3 times daily.
Children - PO/IM 2 to 6 mg/kg/dose.
It comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein or large muscle.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of liver or kidney disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Avoid long-term use of this medication; otherwise patient may get addicted to this drug.
• Avoid rapid administration; otherwise it may lead to breathing problem.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Heart :
Slow heart rate, low blood pressure and fainting.
• Central Nervous System : Drowsiness, agitation, confusion, headache, in coordination, CNS depression, excitement, abnormal dreams, mental disturbances, hallucinations, sleeplessness and dizziness.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, vomiting and constipation.
• Blood : Blood disorders.
• Liver : Liver damage.
• Respiratory : Shortness of breath, difficulty in breathing and asthma.
• Miscellaneous : Hypersensitivity reactions (eg, swelling, rashes, exfoliative dermatitis), fever and injection site reactions (eg, local pain, thrombophlebitis).
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (15° to 30°C), and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Birth Control Implant is a long-acting birth control contraceptive inserted into the arm. It is a ...
Mastocytosis is a rare condition marked by accumulation of mast cells under the skin and various ...
Lusutrombopag is used to treat abnormally low platelet counts (thrombocytopenia) in adult patients ...View All