Information about Aminophylline
Generic Name : Aminophylline
Pronunciation : am in off i lin
Latest prescription information about Aminophylline. Learn how to pronounce the drug's name, its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
ICD Code : Y55.6
Therapeutic Classification : Anti- Asthmatics
Trade Names/Brand Names of Aminophylline
Why is Aminophylline Prescribed? (Indications)
This medication is a bronchodilator, prescribed for symptoms of asthma, bronchitis and emphysema. It works in the airways by relaxing muscles and opening air passages for improved breathing.
When should Aminophylline not be taken? (Contraindications)
What is the dosage of Aminophylline?
Adult: PO Chronic bronchospasm As hydrate: Initial: 225-450 mg twice daily, increased if needed. IV Acute severe bronchospasm Loading dose: 5 mg/kg (ideal body wt). Maintenance: 0.5 mg/kg/hr. Rate should not exceed 25 mg/min.
How should Aminophylline be taken?
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth on an empty stomach. It also comes as solution for injection to be administered by healthcare provider into the vein.
What are the warnings and precautions for Aminophylline?
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart disease, epilepsy, heart failure, over active thyroid, high blood pressure, alcohol addiction, sudden fever, elderly, children, any allergy, who are taking other medication, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
• It may cause dizziness or lightheadedness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid drinking coffee, tea, cola and smoking cigarettes; otherwise it may lead to serious side effects.
What are the side effects of Aminophylline?
• Allergic reactions :
Difficulty in breathing, throat infection and swelling of lips, tongue, face.
• Central Nervous System :
Restlessness, tremor, sleeplessness, headache, lightheadedness, dizziness and epilepsy.
• Heart :
Increased or irregular heart rate.
• Gastrointestinal :
Severe nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain.
What are the other precautions for Aminophylline?
Avoid excess dosage.
What are the storage conditions for Aminophylline?
1. Keep this medication in a tightly closed container.
2. Keep it out of reach of children.
3. Store suppositories in the refrigerator.
4. Store other forms of aminophylline at room temperature and away from excess moisture.