This medication is a vasodilator, prescribed for erectile dysfunction (impotence; inability to get or keep an erection) in men. It is also used to improve blood flow in newborn babies with a certain genetic heart condition and who depend on patent ductus arteriosus for survival.
This injection is also sometimes used in combination with other tests to diagnose erectile dysfunction. It relaxes the muscles and blood vessels in the penis to keep enough blood in the penis so that an erection can occur.
Contraindicated in patients with hypersensitivity,and hyaline membrane disease.
IV- The recommended starting dose is 0.1 micrograms per kilogram of body weight per minute.
It comes as a powder to be mixed with the liquid provided in the package and injected into the penis and as a urethral suppository (pellet to be placed into the urinary opening of the penis), and newborns injection administered into the vein.
Flushing, slow heart rate, low blood pressure, cardiac arrest, edema. Other rare, but serious, cardiovascular effects include heart failure, second-degree heart block, shock, uncoordinated contraction of the cardiac muscle.
• Central Nervous System: Fever, seizures, cerebral bleeding.
• Gastrointestinal: Diarrhea.
• Genitourinary: Urethral pain, urethral burning, urethral bleeding/spotting, testicular pain, penile pain, prolonged erection, penile fibrosis, injection-site blood clot, penis disorder.
• Blood: Pathological activation of blood clotting, bleeding.
• Respiratory: Breathing during sleep
• Miscellaneous: Cortical proliferation of long bones; sepsis; back pain; pain; pelvic pain; accidental injury.
Monitor blood pressure, blood oxygenation and blood pH continually.
Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture.