Alendronate is used to treat or prevent osteoporosis or bone thinning in men and post-menopausal women and Paget's disease or bone deformity. It is also recommended for patients taking steroids that affect bone health.
Alendronate is a bisphosphonate reduces the amount of calcium released from the bones into the blood.
Contraindicated in patients with hypersensitivity, decreased level of calcium in blood, esophageal abnormalities and factors which delay esophageal emptying, severe kidney impairment, inability to stand or sit upright for more than half an hour, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
PO: The recommended dose is 5 to 10mg once daily or 35 to 70mg tablet once weekly.
It comes as a tablet, should be taken on an empty stomach.
• Caution needed in patients with history of upper gastrointestinal disorders (discontinue if symptoms worsen); ulcers and active gastrointestinal bleeding.
• Correct vitamin D and calcium deficiency before starting therapy.
• Not recommended for use in patients with CrCl <35 ml/min.
• Proper dental care is important while taking this medication.
• Do not drive a car or operate machinery, avoid alcohol and smoking while taking this medication.
• Postmenopausal women
• Gastrointestinal: Abdominal pain, nausea, indigestion, constipation, diarrhea, flatulence, acid regurgitation esophageal ulcer, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing and stomach inflammation.
• Musculoskeletal : Bone, muscle/joint pain, muscle cramp and osteonecrosis of the jaw.
• Central Nervous System : Headache and dizziness.
• ENT: Taste perversion.
• Gastrointestinal : Acid regurgitation, flatulence, heart burn, diarrhea, abdominal pain and nausea.
• Body as a Whole : Hypersensitivity reactions, muscle pain, uneasiness, weakness and rarely fever.
• Central Nervous system: Dizziness and fainting.
• Skin: Rash (occasionally with photosensitivity), itching, hair loss, rarely severe skin reactions, including Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis.
• Eye: Eye inflammation.
It may cause severe bone, muscle, or joint pain.
Store it at room temperature and in an airtight container. Keep away from children and pets.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!