Adefovir Dipivoxil is an antiviral agent prescribed to treat hepatitis B, a chronic viral infection of the liver in patients 12 years and above.
It works by preventing the virus from spreading and infecting new liver cells.
Contraindicated in patients who are taking tenofovir, liver enlargement and hypersensitivity.
Adult- PO -The recommended dose is 10mg/day.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of kidney, liver diseases, abnormal liver function tests, liver transplant, HIV infection, obesity, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It should not be used in children less than 12 years old.
• Monitor kidney and liver functions regularly while taking this medication.
• If condition worsens stop the medication immediately.
• Should not be used concurrently with tenofovir disoproxil fumarate or tenofovir disoproxil fumarate-containing products.
• Most Common :
Weakness, headache, abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, indigestion, flatulence, increased creatinine, and decrease in blood phosphate level.
• Gastrointestinal : Inflammation of pancreas.
• Muscuskeletal : Muscle pain and softening of bones.
• Genitourinary : Kidney failure and Fanconi syndrome.
It does not stop the spread of HBV to others; avoid sexual contact, sharing of needles and injection supplies.
Store it in room temperature (25°C), and in an airtight container.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!