This combination medication contains narcotic analgesic and antipyretic, prescribed for mild to moderate pain and fever.
Contraindicated in patients with diarrhea, food poisoning, who are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) and hypersensitivity.
The recommended adult dose is 1-2 tablets every 4 hours as needed for relief of pain. Do not exceed six 100/650 mg tablets or twelve 50/325 mg tablets in a 24-hour period. Other available dosages are propoxyphene/acetaminophen 65/650, 100/325 and 100/500 mg.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of depression, mental or mood problems, head injury, brain disorders, increased pressure in the brain, seizures, suicidal thoughts or actions, stomach problems, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid long-term use of this drug.
• Avoid excess dosage.
• Avoid smoking while taking this medication. Smoking can decrease the drug effectiveness.
• Nervous system :
Dizziness, light-headedness, drowsiness, sedation, confusion, mood changes, seizures and hallucinations.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, stomach upset, stomach pain, gastrointestinal bleeding, loss of appetite, vomiting and constipation.
• Heart : Palpitations, chest pain, fast or slow heart rate, decreased blood pressure, feeling like you might pass out, cardiac/respiratory arrest, congestive arrest, congestive heart failure (CHF), and myocardial infarction (MI).
• Eye : Blurred vision and eye swelling.
• Skin: Rash, itching.
• Miscellaneous: Dry mouth, weakness, itching, liver dysfunction and dark urine.
Avoid alcohol consumption.
Propoxyphene may be habit-forming and should be used only by the prescribed person. Should never share this medication with another person, especially someone with a history of drug abuse or addiction.
Do not use this medication if the patient is on sodium oxybate.
Store it at room temperature (20° to 25°C), and in airtight container. Keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Drug hypersensitivity is an adverse reaction that occurs due to an interaction between a drug and ...
Stiff joints are a major problem for the elderly, as the joints tend to wear-and-tear with ...
Uterine/Endometrial cancer is the sixth most common cancer in women worldwide. Uterine cancer ...View All