About Careers Internship MedBlogs Contact us

Rickets - FAQs

Font : A-A+

Frequently Asked Questions

Which specialist should I see to treat rickets?
You should see a General Physician, Paediatrician or an Orthopaedic Surgeon if surgery is required to correct any deformities.

Is Osteomalacia different from rickets?
Rickets and osteomalacia though similar in many respects are also dissimilar in a few. Rickets and osteomalacia are different manifestations of the same underlying pathologic process, depending on whether the patient is a child or an adult. Rickets is a disease of childhood, while osteomalacia (softening of bones) is of adult life. The former is present while bones are being constructed, while the latter is only found after bones are formed. The demarcation is made at the time of closure of the growth plates.


How different is osteoporosis from osteomalacia?
Osteoporosis differs from osteomalacia in several aspects. Osteoporosis is a disorder in which there is little bone meaning that for the volume of bone, it contains the correct amount of calcium and phosphorus, but there is too little of it. In osteomalacia however, the amount of bone may be normal, but there is less mineral in the bone. Osteoporosis is an asymptomatic disease until there is fracture, while there are usually symptoms with osteomalacia like aching bones. The treatment for osteoporosis and osteomalacia are also different.

How soon does a child show symptoms of rickets? Is there any regular screening that can be done to identify the condition?
If your child shows a tendency for bow legs or other physical deformities, you should take your child to a Paediatrician for a check-up. Simple routine physical examinations are adequate enough to identify the condition at an early stage.

How much exposure to sun is beneficial in preventing the disease?
In tropical countries, like India, exposure to sun is rarely a concern. In temperate countries however, exposure of the child for just 2 or 3 hours to the sun is sufficient enough.

Citations   close

Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:

  • APA

    Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2013, August 05). Rickets - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's . Medindia. Retrieved on May 23, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/rickets_faqs.htm.

  • MLA

    Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Rickets - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's ". Medindia. May 23, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/rickets_faqs.htm>.

  • Chicago

    Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Rickets - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's ". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/rickets_faqs.htm. (accessed May 23, 2022).

  • Harvard

    Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Rickets - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's . Medindia, viewed May 23, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/rickets_faqs.htm.

Do you wish to consult an Orthopedic Doctor for your problem? Ask your question

Dr. Pankaj Kumar
Dr. Pankaj Kumar
18 years experience
Progressive Spine and orthopaedic , Near IGIMS
Teleconsult Now View Profile
Dr. Nitinkumar Singh
Dr. Nitinkumar Singh
MBBS, D.Ortho
8 years experience
Teleconsult Now View Profile
Dr. Rakesh Kumar Sharma
Dr. Rakesh Kumar Sharma
38 years experience
Teleconsult Now View Profile
Dr. Siddharth Jaiswal
Dr. Siddharth  Jaiswal
MBBS, D ortho
6 years experience
Teleconsult Now View Profile
View All

Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.



Hey everyone! I am 19 years old and I was born with Rickets. I couldn't walk but I could only crawl backwards. so my mom took me to several hospitals to figure out was wrong with her baby girl. no doctor could ever find out what was wrong with me. Then someone told my mom about the Shriners Hospital which has a bone center in Shreveport Louisiana. They are the best hospital I have ever been to! I have had a mickey-G-tube in my stomach for vitamins, tubes up my nose, I used to have to take shots every day to help me grow, and also 5 surgeries on my legs to help straight my bowed legs out. They would always bow again and come out negative but when I was in the seventh grade I had my last final surgery to straight my legs and ever since then I am doing great! Shriners Hospital is an amazing hospital and I would advise any young child to go there for help they inspired me and made me want to go to college to become a nurse and work there one day to help kids in need just like they help me.


Please help me i am a poor man and i have rickets problem please help me.


please may i know the differential diagnosis of rickets


hiii im a 21 year old female I have Hypophosphatemic rickets I have never had any operations im trying to see how to go about doing so any tipss??


Do you have deformities?


I am 22 years old [girl] with hypophosphatemia, i had a surgery when i was 14 years old to close the growth plates in my knees to stop any more bowing in my legs. if you live close, at all, to California, UCSF is awesome. i am currently in a study for a new drug for treatment of this disease and so far, the drug has been helping me a lot. i still have a lot of bone pain and joint pains, but it does seem to be helping.


Hey I am an 18 year old female and I am in the same situation. I have currently been getting more sharper pains my legs and find it really difficult to walk. Although I don't know whether to get the operation if it is just for cosmetic reasons.


i am 17 turning 18 this year, i had an operation last august on my left leg due to rickets and had metal plates placed in, this august i am having surgery again so that they can take the metal out, and then the same procedure is taking place on my right leg and then next summer theyre taking the metal plate out on right leg, they adjusted the alignment, i didnt realise alot of people have rickets until i saw this

View More Comments
Health Topics A - Z

    What's New on Medindia
    Prevent Hacking of Medical Devices: FDA Sounds Alarm
    Black Water: Benefits and Uses
    World Hypertension Day 2022 - Measure Blood Pressure Accurately, Control It, Live Longer!
    View all

    Medindia Newsletters Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
    Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

    Most Popular on Medindia

    Indian Medical Journals Calculate Ideal Weight for Infants Drug Interaction Checker Drug Side Effects Calculator The Essence of Yoga Blood Donation - Recipients Selfie Addiction Calculator Blood Pressure Calculator Blood - Sugar Chart Find a Hospital

    Disclaimer - All information and content on this site are for information and educational purposes only. The information should not be used for either diagnosis or treatment or both for any health related problem or disease. Always seek the advice of a qualified physician for medical diagnosis and treatment. Full Disclaimer

    © All Rights Reserved 1997 - 2022

    This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use
    open close