This medication is a synthetic vitamin D analog, prescribed for hypocalcemia in patients undergoing chronic renal dialysis. It helps proper absorption and use of calcium and phosphate in the body.
Contraindicated in patients with vitamin D toxicity and hypersensitivity.
PO- The recommended initial dose is 1 mcg (0.02 mcg/kg) to 2 mcg administered three times weekly, approximately every other day.
It comes as a tablet and capsule to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart, kidney disease, kidney stones, hardening of the arteries, high phosphate level in the blood, any allergy, who are taking other medications, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid excess dosage.
• It may lead to dehydration, drink enough fluid.
• Central Nervous System :
Weakness, headache, sensory disturbances, muscle weakness, mood changes and drowsiness.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, constipation, metallic taste, loss of appetite, abdominal pain or stomach pain.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle pain and bone pain.
• Genitourinary : Nighttime urination, frequent urination, urinary tract infection and Blood urea nitrogen.
• Metabolic : Weight loss, increased thirst, dehydration, increased fat in blood and elevated liver enzymes.
• Eye and ENT : Eye inflammation and photophobia.
• Heart : High blood pressure and abnormal heart rhythm.
• Central Nervous System : Muscle weakness and mood changes.
• Patients with kidney disease should consult a nephrologist before drinking plenty of liquid.
• Monitor serum calcium levels to avoid the risk of hypercalcemia.
• Special diet should be followed while taking calcitriol
• Patients on dialysis requires low phosphate diet
Store the medication at 25°C (77°F); excursions permitted to 15° to 30°C (59° to 86°F).
Bladder neck incision is a surgical procedure where cuts are made in the neck of the urinary ...
Tourette syndrome (TS) is a neurological disorder wherein the affected person makes repetitive and ...
Some drugs or therapeutic agents cause undesirable reactions in lungs, known as drug-induced ...View All