Chemotherapeutic agents or drugs are 'magic bullets' that destroy the fast-dividing cancer cells. However these drugs are unable to differentiate between the normal cells and the cancer cells and they destroy the former too, in their war against cancer. This leads to certain side effects.
Chemotherapy is used in over half the patients who are treated with cancer. It is used to treat not only the cancer cells in an organ but also to treat distant sites to which the tumor or cancer might have spread. Hence chemotherapy is a systemic therapy, meaning, it treats the body as a whole.
When Chemotherapy was first put into practice there were many side effects and sometimes they proved to be fatal. Now the practice is much safer with better monitoring and the usage of combination therapy. When an oncologist prescribes a chemotherapy regimen, they give a combination of drugs to treat the cancer. Some of these drugs are administered to treat the dividing cells at various stages. The regimen may also include some supportive drugs to minimize the side effects. To get the best results it is important to follow the regimen and the schedule.
In the earlier days, when popping an
Cancerous conditions like Hodgkins lymphoma, non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, certain types of leukemia and testicular tumor are fully cured using these cytotoxic drugs.
Chemotherapy agents have also found use to treat non-cancer conditions like overcoming transplant rejections and to treat
Before starting the chemotherapy one needs to check the performance status of the patient. Performance status is usually a score that tells the physician if the patient is fit to undergo chemotherapy or if the dose of the drugs needs to be reduced.
Chemotherapy - References:
- MacDiarmid J.A. et al. (2007)
- "Bacterially Derived 400 nm Particles for Encapsulation and Cancer Cell Targeting of Chemotherapeutics" Cancer Cell 11, 431-445, May 2007
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2020, July 10). Chemotherapy - History Principles Aim Pros and Cons FAQs. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 09, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/chemotherapy.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Chemotherapy - History Principles Aim Pros and Cons FAQs". Medindia. Dec 09, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/chemotherapy.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Chemotherapy - History Principles Aim Pros and Cons FAQs". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/chemotherapy.htm. (accessed Dec 09, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Chemotherapy - History Principles Aim Pros and Cons FAQs. Medindia, viewed Dec 09, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/chemotherapy.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Chemotherapy
- [The impact of KIT and other concomitant gene mutations on the prognoses of patients with core-binding factor acute myeloid leukemia]. - Published by PubMed
- Investigation of Approval Trends and Benefits of New Fixed-Dose Combination Drugs in Japan. - Published by PubMed
- Outcomes of metastatic colorectal cancer patients in relationship to prior and concurrent antibiotics use; individual patient data analysis of three clinical trials. - Published by PubMed
- Fertility preservation in breast cancer with case-based examples for guidance. - Published by PubMed
- Low bone mineral density is associated with hypogonadism and cranial irradiation in male childhood cancer survivors. - Published by PubMed