About Careers MedBlog Contact us
Medindia LOGIN REGISTER
Advertisement

Romanian Teen Burst into Flames While Taking The 'Ultimate Selfie' of Her Life

by Bidita Debnath on June 6, 2015 at 11:55 PM
Font : A-A+

Romanian Teen Burst into Flames While Taking The 'Ultimate Selfie' of Her Life

A Romanian teenager burst into flames after accidentally touching a live wire while attempting to take the 'ultimate selfie' on the roof of a train.

Anna Ursu, 18, and her friend went to a train station in the town of Iasi in the northeast of the country to take a 'special selfie' that she intended to post on Facebook.

Advertisement

But as she lay on top of the train and stuck one of her legs in the air, an electrical field surrounding the overhead cables sent 27,000 volts zapping through her body, causing her to burst into flames.

Despite the best efforts of a passer-by to save her life, the 18-year-old later died in hospital with burns to 50% of her body.

The charge that hit Miss Ursu was so powerful that it caused her 17-year-old friend to be sent flying off the roof of the stationary train.
Advertisement

A passer-by who saw the horrific accident risked his own life by scrambling on top of the carriage to extinguish the girl's burning clothes before phoning the emergency services.

Both teenagers were airlifted to hospital but the 18-year-old later died as a result of 50% of her body being covered in burns.

The 17-year-old girl is currently recovering in hospital. She told investigators that the pair had wanted to get the 'ultimate selfie' and hadn't stopped to think of the danger.

The passer-by who witnessed the accident said he had been going for a walk when he spotted the girls playing on top of the carriage.

Aware of the dangers of the live wire, the man said he called out to the teenagers to keep their heads and legs down.

However seconds later he heard a loud bang and turned to see the Miss Ursu burst into flames.

A hospital spokesman said that although the girl hadn't directly touched the wire, she had come in to contact with its electrical field, which was just as deadly.

Source: Medindia
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Recommended Reading

This site uses cookies to deliver our services.By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use  Ok, Got it. Close
×

Romanian Teen Burst into Flames While Taking The 'Ultimate Selfie' of Her Life Personalised Printable Document (PDF)

Please complete this form and we'll send you a personalised information that is requested

You may use this for your own reference or forward it to your friends.

Please use the information prudently. If you are not a medical doctor please remember to consult your healthcare provider as this information is not a substitute for professional advice.

Name *

Email Address *

Country *

Areas of Interests