Like your skin, even your hair needs some extra tender care and love in the winter season. Hair care expert suggests it is wise to concentrate on keeping your roots clean and choosing the right products.
Raghu Reddy, a hair loss specialist at the Private Clinic of Harley Street, gives out some hair tips for healthy hair during winter, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
Here are some suggestions:
- Take extra care of your roots: Avoid putting products like conditioner, wax or gel directly onto the roots of your hair. This will clog the pores and hair follicles, making it difficult for hair to grow as it normally would.
- Choose products wisely: In winter, go for a gentle shampoo to keep some moisture intact in your hair. Use a deeper conditioner to protect the hair and prevent damage from extreme weather or central heating.
- Indulge in protein-rich diet: Embark on a protein high diet that can keep hair shiny and strong. Eat meat, fish and eggs.
- Go natural: Several women wish to avoid frizzy hair in the winter months, and they prefer to dry their hair before venturing out in to the cold. Try to keep the use of straighteners and hair driers to a minimum, as intense heat can be bad for hair.
Stay away from straightening and curling as they may make the hair brittle and prone to breakage, contributing to the overall weakening of each individual hair. Also, avoid using hair dyes regularly as well.
- No heat please: A hot water bath can bring much relief in the winter, but this can be detrimental to your hair. Always wash your hair with lukewarm or cool water, rather than very hot water.
- Be gentle: Avoid brushing your hair rigorously to stay away from unwanted breakage. Try not to scratch the scalp too, as this can cause the scalp to become dry and to flake.
- Keep calm: Don't let the stress of the festive season get to you. Sustained periods of stress can lead to a change in hormonal balances, which can pave the way for hair thinning or patterned baldness.