Medical Condition(s) for which Nidagen (100 mg) may be prescribed
- Menstrual disorders: Since the drug supports normal growth and shedding of the uterine lining, it is used for treating menstrual disorders like absent or irregular menstruation, painful menstruation, secondary amenorrhea and premenstrual symptoms.
- Prevent miscarriage: Since the drug helps in maintaining integrity of the endometrial lining in a pregnant womb, it is used for preventing habitual and recurrent abortion.
- Endometriosis: Dydrogesterone relieves the pain during menstruation due to endometriosis without inhibiting ovulation.
- Infertility: The drug is used during IVF (in-vitro fertilization) cycle to achieve successful implantation.
- In combination with hormonal replacement therapy (HRT): Dydrogesterone prevents thickening of the uterine lining in the patient taking HRT.
Drug information on Nidagen (100 mg) (Dydrogesterone) from Systopic Laboratories Pvt. Ltd.
Medindia currently has information on 3065
generic drugs and 110,046
brands that have their prices listed. New drugs with their prices are listed as and when they get approved by the drug controller. Please do write to us (email@example.com
) if a drug is missing from our comprehensive drug price list.
Dydrogesterone is a synthetic progesterone. Progesterone is a female hormone which is responsible for the healthy growth of the womb (uterine) lining also known as endometrial. If the egg released during the menstrual cycle is not fertilized, progesterone levels decrease and initiates proper shedding of the womb lining (menstruation). If the egg is fertilized and attaches to the womb lining, progesterone levels continue to increase and helps in maintaining the integrity of womb lining which is very necessary to preserve the pregnancy.
Dydrogesterone is used to mimic the action of progesterone in various conditions
- Pulsating headache which can develop into a migraine
Pain in breast and breast tenderness
Occasional blood spotting
Pain during periods
Heavy bleeding during periods
Abnormal liver function which can progress into jaundice
Nausea and abdominal discomfort
Drug dosage varies as per the medical condition.
- Painful menstruation and irregular menstrual periods: 10 mg twice daily from starting from the 5th day of the menstrual cycle to the 25th day.
Endometriosis: 10 mg twice or thrice daily starting from the 5th day of the menstrual cycle to the 25th day.
Dysfunctional bleeding/ unexpected bleeding:
- 10 mg twice daily for a week for stopping bleeding.
10 mg twice daily starting from the 11th day of the menstrual cycle to 25th day to prevent heavy bleeding.
Secondary Amenorrhea: Should be given in combination with estrogen therapy. 10 mg twice daily starting from the 11th day of the menstrual cycle to the 25th day.
Abortion: In case of threatened abortion, 40 mg immediately and then 10 mg doses repeated every 8 hours till remission.
- In case of habitual abortion, 10 mg once daily till 12th week of pregnancy.
- Infertility: 10 mg once daily from 14th day of menstrual cycle to 25th day.
- In post-menopausal conditions: Should be given in combination with estrogen therapy in a dose of 2.5 mg to 10 mg once daily as per the severity of the condition.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
Contraindicated in patients with undiagnosed, abnormal vaginal bleeding, blood clot disorder, stroke, incomplete abortion, breast cancer, brain cancer, breastfeeding mothers, liver dysfunction, and hypersensitivity.
The drug is contraindicated in children under age 18 years.
While the drug is useful in sustaining pregnancy in patients with recurrent abortion, the drug is contraindicated in pregnant patients who are not at any risk of abortion or in patients with advanced pregnancy.
• Patients should be monitored for visual disturbances, migraine headache or embolic disorders.
• The duration and the frequency of the treatment should be decided by the treating physician.
• If any allergic reaction reactions occur, the medicine has to be stopped and should consult a physician.
Caution should be exercised in patients with a history of blood clot disorder, kidney impairment, heart disease, epilepsy, asthma, migraine, fluid retention, and breastfeeding.
Monitor closely eye vision and symptoms of blood clot disorders.
It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
Should be used with extreme care in patient with a history of clinical depression.
No specific symptoms are observed with drug overdose. Treatment is symptomatic and supportive.
Store in a dry, dark place at temperatures not exceeding 25°C. Keep out of reach of children.
The Price of the drugs indicated above may not match the actual price at which they are sold. Prices can change depending on many factors, including GST. These are only approximate indicative prices of the drug.