• Central Nervous System:
Headache, irritability, restlessness, depression, fatigue.
• Genitourinary: Precocious puberty, breast enlargement in male.
• Metabolic: Edema.
• Miscellaneous: Pain at injection site, arterial blood clot, shock, abdominal pain.
Dosage: Children (4 yr of age and older):
1. 4000 USP units three times weekly for three weeks.
2. 5000 USP units every second day for four injections.
3. 15 injections of 500 to 1,000 USP units over a period of 6 weeks.
4. 500 USP units 3 times weekly for four to six weeks. If this course of treatment is not successful, another course is begun 1 mo later using 1,000 USP units per injection.
For treating men with problems related to low levels of male hormones: 500 to 1,000 USP Units three times a week for three weeks, followed by the same dose twice a week for three weeks.
4,000 USP Units three times weekly for six to nine months, following which the dosage may be reduced to 2,000 USP Units three times weekly for an additional three months.
Induction of ovulation and pregnancy in the anovulatory, infertile women: 5,000 to 10,000 USP Units one day following the last dose of menotropins. (A dosage of 10,000 USP Units is recommended in the labeling for menotropins).
It comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein or muscle.
Contraindicated in patients with hypersensitivity; very early puberty, prostate cancer or other androgenic dependent neoplasm, pregnancy and lactation.
• You must receive a thorough gynecological exam before beginning treatment with this medication.
• Patient may develop multiple pregnancy, blood clots, increase in ovary size, ovarian cyst rupture. Consult your healthcare provider before taking this medication.
• Discontinue therapy if signs of precocious puberty are seen in patients treated for cryptorchidism.
• Caution needed for patients with cardiac or renal disease, epilepsy, migraine or asthma.
If you miss a dose of it, contact your doctor immediately.
It is usually handled and stored by a health care provider.