This medication is an antipsychotic agent, prescribed for schizophrenia (a mental illness that causes disturbed or unusual thinking, loss of interest in life, and strong or inappropriate emotions). It regulates certain chemical activities in brain, which is responsible for thinking and behavior.
Contraindicated in patients with history of heart diseases, elderly patients with dementia, known hypersensitivity to this drug.
Adult: PO- Schizophrenia: As HCl: ≥18 years: Initial: 20 mg twice daily, may increase slowly to 80 mg twice daily, if needed. Maintenance: 20 mg twice daily.
It comes as a capsule to take by mouth. It is usually taken twice a day with food.
• Caution needed for patients with history of Alzheimer's disease, coronary artery disease, irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure, severe dizziness/fainting, diabetes (including family history), stroke, seizures, Neuroleptic malignant syndrome, obesity, swallowing problems, pneumonia, low white blood cell count, liver or kidney impairment, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Patient may develop an increased risk of QT prolongation, if it so, stop the medication.
• It may make you drowsy or dizzy, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Monitor ECG in patients who show symptoms of torsades de pointes (e.g. syncope, dizziness, and palpitations).
• If on concurrent diuretic therapy monitor the level of serum electrolytes.
• Most Common:
Nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, runny nose, weakness.
• Central Nervous System: Headache, lethargy, weakness, extra pyramidal syndrome, muscle stiffness, movement disorder, tremor, paralysis and twitching.
• Heart: Fast heart rate, high blood pressure and postural low blood pressure.
• Gastrointestinal: Loss of appetite, difficulty in swallowing, indigestion and rectal bleeding.
• Hormone: Abnormally high levels of prolactin in the blood.
• Genitourinary: Absence of menstrual cycle, impotence and breast enlargement in males.
• Metabolic: Weight gain.
• Skin: Rash.
• Respiratory: Respiratory tract infection and cough.
• Potentially Fatal: Blood disorder and life- threatening neurological disorder.
Monitor sugar level regularly in diabetic patients or patients at risk of developing diabetes.
Monitor complete blood count regularly in patients with pre- existing blood disorder.
Injection: Store at 15-30°C. Protect from light. Keep this medication in an airtight container, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!