This medication is an antiepileptic agent, prescribed for seizures. It works by decreasing abnormal electrical activity in the brain.
PO- Initial: The recommended dose is 50 mg/kg/day in two divided doses and can be titrated by 25-50 mg/kg/day increments every 3 days up to a maximum of 150 mg/kg/day.
It comes as a solution to take by mouth twice daily, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of kidney or liver impairment, vision problem, suicidal thoughts, depression, any allergy, who are taking other medication, elderly, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• It may develop with unusual weight gain; if it is so consult with your doctor.
• It may develop with increased risk of suicidal thoughts; watch them carefully.
• ♦Perform eye examination regularly while taking this medication.
• Most Common:
Headache, drowsiness, fatigue, dizziness, seizures, increased weight, upper respiratory tract infection, visual defects, depression, tremor, night blindness, nausea, diarrhea, memory loss, sleeplessness, irritability, abnormal coordination, blurred vision, double vision, vomiting, influenza, fever and rash.
• Eye : Eye infection.
• Gastrointestinal : Vomiting, constipation and diarrhea.
• General : Fever.
• Infections : Upper respiratory tract infection, ear infection, viral infection, fungal infection, inflammation of stomach/sinus and urinary tract infection.
• Metabolic : Decreased appetite.
• Central Nervous System : Sedation, drowsiness, epilepsy, mental weakness, muscle weakness, irritability and sleeplessness.
• Respiratory : Nasal congestion and cough.
Avoid alcohol consumption.
Store it at room temperature (20-25° C), and in an airtight container.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!