This medication is an anticonvulsant, prescribed for the treatment of seizures and prevents migraine headaches, either alone or with other medications. It decreases abnormal excitement in the brain.
When used alone, the starting dose is 25 mg/ night taken orally. The dose may be increased after 1 week to a maximum of 400 mg/day. When used in combination, dose may be increased to a maximum of 800 mg/day. It is also used to prevent migraine with a similar starting dose. It may be increased to 25 to 50 mg twice a day.
It comes as a tablet, capsule, to take by mouth, with or without food twice a day in the morning and evening.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of liver or kidney problems, during pregnancy.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, confusion, or trouble in concentration, avoid driving or operating machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid activities such as swimming, driving, and climbing.
• Drink adequate water to reduce the risk of kidney stone especially in predisposed patients.
• Measure serum bicarbonate at baseline and periodically during treatment.
• Monitor closely for decreased sweating and increased body temperature, especially in hot weather.
Hypertension, slow heart beat.
• Central Nervous System: Tingling, drowsiness, nervousness, confusion, difficulty with concentration, dizziness, fatigue,difficulty with memory, depression, speech disorders, behavior problems, abnormal gait, anxiety, abnormal coordination,mood problems, language problems, aggressive reaction, sleeplessness, tremor, involuntary muscle contraction, agitation.
• Skin: Hair loss, itching, rash, acne, skin disorder, dermatitis, redness of the skin, eczema, increased sweating, seborrhea, skin discoloration.
• Eye and ENT: Abnormal tears , eye pain,double vision, blurred vision, conjunctivitis, eye abnormality, tinnitus, abnormal accommodation, decreased hearing, inflammation of the middle ear, tinnitus, inflammation of pharynx.
• Gastrointestinal: Loss of appetite, nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, difficulty in swallowing, increased saliva, constipation, dry mouth, gas,fecal incontinence, gingivitis, inflammation of the tongue, gum hyperplasia, tooth disorder, inflammation of pancreas.
• Genitourinary: Breast pain, urinary incontinence, urinary tract infection, cyst in urine, menstrual disorder, premature ejaculation, kidney stone, vaginal bleeding; absence of menstrual cycle, frequency, prostate disorder, intermenstrual bleeding, acid in urine tube.
• Blood: Multiple bleeding, nose bleed, decrease in hemoglobin, white blood cells, blood clot.
• Liver: Gamma-GT increased, liver failure, jaundice.
• Metabolic: Loss of weight, thirst, low blood sugar, increased appetite.
• Musculoskeletal: Joint pain, leg cramps, muscle pain.
• Respiratory: Upper respiratory tract infection, runny nose, pneumonia, coughing, difficulty in breathing, asthma, respiratory disorder.
• Miscellaneous: Injury, fever, viral infection, back pain, chest pain, flu-like symptoms, leg pain, allergic reaction, hot flushes, neoplasm, body odor, rigors, skeletal pain.
Avoid abrupt withdrawal.
Seek immediate medical attention if blurred vision or eye pain.
Oral: Store at 15-30°C. Store it in an airtight container and keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!