This medication is a bisphosphonate which also includes the drugs alendronate prescribed for the treatment of Paget's disease of bone (a disease in which the formation of bone is abnormal) and in persons with osteoporosis (a condition in which the bones become thin and weak and break easily) especially in women who have undergone menopause ('change of life,' end of menstrual periods) and in people taking glucocorticoids.
Contraindicated in patients with allergy to the drug, esophageal abnormality such as a stricture or achalasia, pregnancy, decreased calcium level, inability to stand or sit erect for 30 minutes and CrCl <30 ml/min.
PO- Adult: Osteoporosis- The recommended dose is 5 mg/day.
For postmenopausal osteoporosis, increase bone mass in men with osteoporosis: The recommended dose is 35 mg once weekly.
Paget's disease: The recommended dose is 30 mg orally once daily for 2 months.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth. It is taken on an empty stomach once a day daily or weekly in the morning with a glass full of water. The patient is advised not to eat or lie down at least 30 minutes after the tablet.
• Correct low serum calcium levels in the blood prior to therapy.
• Monitor liver and kidney function and white blood cells.
• Avoid smoking and drinking large amounts of alcohol and to follow a regular program of weight-bearing exercise.
• It may affect liver, kidney, bones, muscles or joints.
• Caution needed for patients with history of heartburn, ulcers, stomach or esophagus problem, anemia , difficulty swallowing, cancer, any type of infection, blood clotting problem, or kidney disease.
• Most Common:
Back pain, joint pain, abdominal pain, and stomach upset, rash, nausea.
• Heart: High blood pressure.
• Gastrointestinal: Esophageal inflammation, ulceration, jaw necrosis, constipation diarrhea dyspepsia nausea.
• Metabolic: Swelling of feet.
• Musculoskeletal : Joint pain, inflammation of joints, bone fracture, muscle pain.
• Central Nervous System: Dizziness, depression, insomnia.
• Respiratory : Inflammation of the respiratory tract, runny nose, increased cough.
• Skin : Rash.
• Eye: Cataract.
• Genitourinary.: Urinary Tract Infection.
Dental procedures should be avoided in patients taking this medication.
Oral: Store at 20-25°C. Store it at room temperature and in an airtight container. Keep away from excess heat and moisture.
I am dignosed ostoporosis.I am taking Gemfos35 once a week since 10 weeks along with calcimax forte daily one tab. and calcirol once a week.But I have stomach upset, pain in feets & knees. Irritation in eyes. I s because of some medicine or so. please suggest me how long should i take the medicines.