This medication is an antibiotic, prescribed for traveler's diarrhea caused by certain bacteria and liver disease affecting the brain (hepatic encephalopathy). It prevents the growth of bacteria inside the intestine (gut).
Traveler’s Diarrhea-It is administered orally in a dose of 600 mg in 3 divided doses for a 3-day course. For hepatic encephalopathy, it is administered as 1100 mg/day in 2 divided doses.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth. It is usually taken with or without food three times a day for 3 days.
• Central Nervous System: Headache, abnormal dreams, dizziness, migraine, syncope, sleeplessness, fatigue.
• Skin: Sunburn, clamminess, rash, increased sweating.
• Eye and ENT: Ear pain, motion sickness, perception of sound within the human ear in the absence of corresponding external sound, nasal passage irritation, stuffy nose, runny nose.
• Gastrointestinal: Constipation, vomiting, abdominal distension, diarrhea, dry throat, fecal abnormality, gingival disorder, hernia, dry lips, stomach discomfort, dysentery, blood in stool, loss of appetite, loss of taste.
• Genitourinary: Blood in urine, bile salts in the urine, painful urination, urinary frequency, protein in urine.
• Blood: Abnormal increase in the number of lymphocytes, monocytes, decrease in neutrophils.
• Hypersensitivity: Allergic reactions, rash, edema, hives, itching.
• Metabolic: Weight loss, dehydration.
• Musculoskeletal: Joint pain, muscle spasms, muscle pain, neck pain.
• Respiratory: Upper respiratory tract infection, difficulty in breathing.
• Miscellaneous: Chest pain, uneasiness, weakness, hot flashes.
It may lead to dehydration, drink adequate liquid.
Store it at room temperature, in an airtight container. Keep away from excess heat and moisture.
ASK A DOCTOR ONLINE