Information about Pseudoephedrine
Generic Name : Pseudoephedrine
Up-to-date prescription details regarding Pseudoephedrine are provided here.
Pronunciation : soo doe e fed' rin
Learn the correct pronunciation of the Pseudoephedrine, understand it's uses, recommended dosages, its indications, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its and its storage instructions.
You will also find a list of the medication's International and Indian brand or trade names, as well as its pricing information. For verification of the information presented on this page or for additional clarifications, it's advisable to consult your doctor.
ICD Code : Y55.5
Therapeutic Classification : Decongestants
Trade Names/Brand Names of Pseudoephedrine
Why is Pseudoephedrine Prescribed? (Indications)
This medication is a decongestant, prescribed for cold, allergic rhinitis and hay fever. It relieves stuffy nose, opens nasal airways and drains sinuses.
When should Pseudoephedrine not be taken? (Contraindications)
Contraindicated in patients with severe high blood pressure, children less than 12 years and hypersensitivity.
What is the dosage of Pseudoephedrine?
Adult: PO- As HCl or sulfate: 60 mg 4-6 hourly. Max: 4-doses/24 hour. Extended release 120 mg 12 hourly or 240 mg 24 hourly.
How should Pseudoephedrine be taken?
It comes as a tablet, capsule, and liquid to take by mouth, with or without food.
What are the warnings and precautions for Pseudoephedrine?
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of high blood pressure, increased eye pressure, sugar, difficulty in urinating, thyroid or heart disease, intestinal blockage, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Do not take appetite control medicines while taking this medication.
What are the side effects of Pseudoephedrine?
• Central Nervous System : Nervousness, excitability, restlessness, dizziness, weakness and sleeplessness.
• Miscellaneous : Difficulty in breathing, fast heartbeat, palpitations, tremors, hallucinations, pain or burning during urination.
What are the other precautions for Pseudoephedrine?
Avoid excess dosage.
What are the storage conditions for Pseudoephedrine?
Store it at room temperature.
Last Updated : August 11, 2022