This medication is a tranquilizer, prescribed for schizophrenia, severe nausea and vomiting.
Contraindicated in patients with CNS depression, children less than 2 years old, and hypersensitivity.
Nausea and Vomiting -
Oral Dosage: Tablets: Take one 5 mg or 10 mg tablet 3 or 4 times daily.
Rectal Dosage: 25 mg twice daily.
I.M. Dosage: Initially 5 to 10 mg (1 to 2 mL) injected deeply.
Adult Psychiatric Disorders- Oral Dosage: The recommended dosage is 5 mg 3 or 4 times daily.
It comes as a tablet, capsule, liquid to take by mouth, with or without food.
It also comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein or muscle.
It also comes as rectal suppositories, to insert through the rectum.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart disease, central nervous system depression, liver problems, low blood pressure, increased eye pressure, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, tardive dyskinesia, bone marrow depression, involuntary muscle movements, Parkinson disease, Reye syndrome, prostate enlargement, seizures, alcoholism, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision or lightheadedness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Avoid exposure sunlight.
• Most Common :
Drowsiness, dizziness, absence of menstrual periods, blurred vision, skin reactions and Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS).
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, constipation and bowel obstruction.
• Genitourinary : Ejaculatory disorders/impotence, painful erection, lazy colon, urinary retention, menstrual irregularities and false-positive pregnancy tests.
• Heart : Low blood pressure and heart arrest.
• Blood : Blood dyscrasias.
• Liver : Jaundice and liver damage.
• Metabolic : Increased appetite and increased weight.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (15° and 30°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Stereotypic movement disorder (SMD) is a motor disorder, associated with neurodevelopmental ...
Drug side effects calculator allows you to check the side effect of any drug and alerts you if you ...
Drinking hot water adds to the usual benefits of drinking water to improve the skin, digestive ...View All