This medication is an anticonvulsant, prescribed for partial seizure disorders in epileptic children and adults, either alone or with other medication. It reduces anxiety and mood disorders. It also controls benign motor tics (sudden movements in body lasting for a short period of time). It slows down the abnormal nerve impulses in the brain.
Adult: Initial- 600 mg/day in 2 divided doses; increase the dose gradually depending on response. Maintenance: 600-1,200 mg/day, up to 2.4 g/day in adjunct therapy or refractory patients switched from other anticonvulsants.
It comes as a tablet, and a suspension is administered through mouth. It is usually taken two times per day with or without food.
• Cross-sensitivity to carbamazepine may occur.
• Avoid abrupt withdrawal.
• Caution needed for patients with history of liver or kidney disease, patients at risk of hyponatraemia (Decreased sodium level in the blood), pregnancy.
• It may make you drowsy or dizzy, or may cause vision changes.
• Do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Most Common:
Dizziness, drowsiness, double vision, running nose, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, ataxia, abnormal vision, sore throat, abdominal pain, tremor, indigestion, abnormal gait.
• Body as a Whole: Weakness, swelling in the legs, weight increase.
• Heart: Low blood pressure
• Gastrointestinal: Diarrhea, constipation, inflammation of stomach.
♦ • Metabolic: Decreased sodium level in blood and thyroid.
• Musculoskeletal: Muscle weakness, and sprain.
• Central Nervous System: Headache, involuntary eye movement, gait, sleeplessness, tremor, nervousness, agitation, poor co-ordination, EEG abnormal, speech disorder, confusion, injury to the brain, tremor, abnormal thinking.
• Respiratory: Inflammation of nose.
• Skin: Pimple
• Potentially Fatal: Stevens-Johnson syndrome (rashes in skin and mucous membrane), toxic epidermal cell death, anaphylaxis (allergic reaction) and rapid swelling of skin.
Avoid alcohol consumption while taking this medication.
Store it at room temperature (25°C) and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!