This medication is a hypnotic benzodiazepam, prescribed for insomnia and management of infantile spasms.
Contraindicated in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), severe liver disease, myasthenia gravis, increased eye pressure and hypersensitivity.
Adult: PO- The recommended dose is 5 mg at bedtime; increase to 10 mg if needed.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients who have uninterrupted sleep of 7-8 hr after ingestion of dose, amnesia, elderly, children, depression, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Patient may develop with increased risk of suicidal thoughts, depression; watch them carefully.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Central Nervous System :
Agitation, aggressiveness, amnesia, incoordination, confusion, delusions, disorientation, dizziness, fatigue, hallucinations, hangover, headache, irritability, nightmares, psychoses, rage, restlessness and sedation.
• Heart : Low blood pressure and palpitations.
• Gastrointestinal : Constipation, diarrhea, excessive salivation, heartburn, nausea and vomiting.
• Respiratory : Increased sputum and difficulty in breathing.
• Miscellaneous : Rash, changes in sexual drive, muscle weakness, blurred vision and ringing in the ear.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature. Protect from light and moisture.