This medication is a triptan drug (Abortive medication) prescribed for migraine. It results in the contraction of blood vessels surrounding the brain and also stops the release of substances that activate the pain.
Contraindicated in patients with history of heart disease, brain disorders, liver impairment and elderly.
PO- The recommended dose is 1 to 2.5mg/day as single dose, maximum allowed dose is 5mg/day.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, as single dose per day, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of high blood pressure, chest paint, heart attack, diabetes, high cholesterol, poor blood circulation, epilepsy, obesity, menopause, kidney or liver disease, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Patient may develop with increased risk of Serotonin Syndrome with the following symptoms: increased heart rate, shivering, sweating, dilated pupils,etc . If it is so consult with your healthcare provider.
Heart attack and fast heart rate.
• Heart: Palpitations, increased blood pressure, abnormal ECG recording and fainting.
• ENT: Fear of loud sounds, sinus infection, upper respiratory inflammation and ringing in the ear.
• Metabolic: Increased thirst, dehydration and fluid retention.
• Eye: Photophobia (light sensitivity) and blurred vision.
• Gastrointestinal: Decreased salivation, vomiting, indigestion, diarrhea, gastrointestinal discomfort, abdominal pain, stomach and intestine inflammation and constipation.
• Blood: Increase number of white blood cells.
• Respiratory: Inflammation of bronchus, cough and pneumonia.
• Musculoskeletal: Muscle/joint pain, muscle cramps, spasms, joint and muscle stiffness, tightness and rigidity.
• Central Nervous System: Fainting, tremor, dizziness, drowsiness, weakness, anxiety, depression, detachment and sleep disorders.
• Skin: Sweating, skin rashes, itching and hives.
• Genitourinary: Urinary bladder inflammation and frequent urination.
• Miscellaneous: Chills, fever, no description of odor or taste, swelling and allergic reactions
♦ Avoid excess dosage; otherwise it may lead to exacerbation of headache.
Oral- Store it at room temperature between 20° to 25°C, and in an airtight container.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!