This medication is a synthetic prostaglandin; prescribed for ulcer, labor induction, induced abortion, miscarriage, postpartum hemorrhage (blood loss during birth) and other gynecological uses. It reduces the acid secretion in stomach.
Contraindicated in pregnant women, and known hypersensitivity.
Adult: PO- The recommended dose is 200 mcg four times daily with food. If this dose cannot be tolerated, a dose of 100 mcg can be used.
It comes, as a tablet to take by mouth, with food.
• It may cause abortion, premature birth, or birth defects, uterine rupture; it should not be used during pregnancy.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of low blood pressure, which may lead to severe complications e.g. brain or heart disease, inflammatory bowel disease and kidney impairment, elderly, children.
• It may lead to dehydration, drink adequate water.
• Most Common:
Spotting, cramps, heavy periods, Excessive Urination, menstrual disorder, painful menstruation and postmenopausal vaginal bleeding and breast pain.
• Body as a whole : Aches/pains, weakness, fatigue, fever, chills and weight changes.
• Skin : Rash, inflammation, hair loss and pallor (paleness).
• Eye and ENT: Abnormal taste, abnormal vision, inflammation of eye, deafness, ringing and pain in the ear.
• Respiratory : Upper respiratory tract infection, difficulty in breathing, pneumonia and nose bleed.
• Heart: Chest pain, edema, excessive sweating, low/high blood pressure, abnormal heart rate, inflammation of blood vessels, fainting, heart attack and blood clot events.
• Gastrointestinal: Nausea, GI bleeding, GI inflammation/infection, rectal disorder, vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal liver function, reflux and difficulty in swallowing.
• Hypersensitivity : Anaphylaxis.
• Metabolic : Excretion of glucose into the urine, gout and increased nitrogen level.
• Genitourinary : Excessive urination, painful urination, blood in urine and urinary tract infection.
• Central Nervous System : Headache, anxiety, changes in appetite, depression, drowsiness, dizziness, thirst, impotence, loss of libido, increased sweating, nerve damage, mental disorder and confusion.
• Musculoskeletal : Joint/muscle pain, muscle cramps, stiffness and back pain.
• Blood : Anemia, decrease in platelets, bruising and increase in ESR level.
It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
Oral: Store it at room temperature or below 25°C (77°F) in an airtight container.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!