This medication is a synthetic steroid, used alone or together with another medication, to end an early pregnancy (within 7 weeks of the start of a woman's last menstrual period). It blocks the hormone needed for pregnancy to continue. It is also indicated for high blood sugar levels (hyperglycemia) in adults with endogenous Cushing’s syndrome.
Contraindicated in patients with confirmed or suspected fertilized egg has implanted outside the uterus, chronic adrenal failure, concurrent long-term corticosteroid therapy, history of allergy to mifepristone, misoprostol or other prostaglandin, bleeding disorders, liver or kidney impairment; pregnancy and lactation; IUD in place; undiagnosed uterus mass.
Oral- Termination of pregnancy (49 days or less duration)- Adult: 600 mg as a single dose followed 2 days later by 400 mcg of misoprostol as single dose.
This medication available in the form of tablet to take by mouth with or without food, only under healthcare provider’s supervision. First time 2 tablets, if it doesn't work.
• Do not use this if your pregnancy is outside the womb (ectopic pregnancy). It will not cause an abortion in this case.
• It may cause dizziness. Do not drives, operate machinery, or do anything while taking this medication.
• It should be used with caution in patients with kidney, heart, lung, liver, adrenal disease. Patients with diabetes, high blood pressure and porphyria should also inform their doctor about their illness prior to taking this medication.
Excessive vaginal bleeding, uterus infections, uterus bleeding, urinary tract infection.
• Gastrointestinal: Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps.
• Central Nervous System: Dizziness, headache, anxiety, fatigue, unusual tiredness or weakness.
• Metabolic: Swelling in the extremities and decreased appetite.
• Musculoskeletal: Joint pain.
• Miscellaneous: Back pain, fever.
Avoid smoking, alcohol consumption.
Normally handled and stored by healthcare providers.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Sleep disorders are collectively known as ''Somnipathy.'' There are over 70 different medically ...
Unintended pregnancies are very common these days, and so one in about four pregnant women go for ...
Dizziness is a feeling of being faint or unsteady whereas Vertigo is a feeling that you or your ...View All