This medication is an alpha-2 receptor agonist, prescribed for hypertension. It reduces elevated blood pressure by dilating blood vessels.
Contraindicated in patients with liver disease, on therapy with monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors, and hypersensitivity.
Adult- The usual initial dose is 250 mg two or three times a day in the first 48 hours. Maintenance: 500mg to gm in divided doses.
Child- Initial dosage is based on 10 mg/kg of body weight daily in two to four doses.
It comes as a tablet and liquid to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of anemia, liver, kidney disease, tumor in adrenal glands, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• It should not be used in children.
• Heart :
Aggravation of chest pain, heart failure, sinus hypersensitivity, low blood pressure, swelling or weight gain and slow heart rate.
• Gastrointestinal : Inflammation of intestine/pancreas/ mouth, vomiting, diarrhea, sore or "black" tongue, nausea, constipation, distension, flatulence and dryness of mouth.
• Blood : Bone marrow depression.
• Liver : Liver inflammation, jaundice and abnormal liver function.
• Hypersensitivity : Inflammation of heart muscle, blood vessels, lupus-like syndrome, drug-related fever and eosinophilia.
• Central Nervous System : Parkinson’s disease, Bell's palsy, decreased mental acuity, involuntary movements, mild psychoses or depression, headache, sleepiness, weakness, dizziness, lightheadedness and tingling.
• Metabolic : Rise in Blood Urea Nitrogen.
• Musculoskeletal : Joint pain/swelling and muscle pain.
• Respiratory : Nose stuffiness.
• Skin : Skin damage and rash.
• Genitourinary : Absence of menstrual periods, breast enlargement in male, spontaneous secretion of milk, impotence and decreased libido.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it in a well-closed container at controlled room temperature (15-30°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!