This medication is an anticoagulant, prescribed for heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT). It blocks thrombin activity that helps to prevent the formation of blood clots.
Adult: IV- 0.4 mg/kg body weight (up to 110kg) slowly intravenously (eg, over 15 to 20seconds) as a bolus dose.
Followed by 0.15 mg/kg body weight (up to 110kg)/hour as a continuous intravenous infusion for 2 to 10 days or longer if clinically needed.
It comes as a solution for injection, to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart infection, high blood pressure, stomach ulcers, liver or kidney problems, head injury, stroke, any allergy, bleeding problems, stomach/intestinal problems, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Monitor blood counts, blood pressure while taking this medication.
• Skin: Bleeding in injection site, wounds and allergic skin reactions.
• Eye and ENT: Nosebleed.
• Gastrointestinal: Gastrointestinal and rectal bleeding.
• Genitourinary: Abnormal kidney function, blood in urine and vaginal bleeding.
• Blood: Anemia and sepsis.
• Liver: Abnormal liver function.
• Respiratory: Pneumonia.
• Miscellaneous: Fever and infection.
Avoid alcohol consumption.
Store it at controlled room temperature (2 to 25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!