This medication is a synthetic analogue of prostacyclin, prescribed for pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH). It dilates systemic and pulmonary arterial vascular beds.
Inhalation: The recommended dosing regimen is 6 to 9 times daily (no more than every 2 hours) during waking hours, according to individual need and tolerability. The first inhaled dose should be 2.5 mcg (as delivered at the mouthpiece). If this dose is well tolerated, dosing should be increased to 5.0 mcg and maintained at that dose; otherwise maintain the dose at 2.5 mcg.
It is available in various forms like inhalation, solution for injection and oral.
• It should not be used over eyes or skin.
• Avoid repeated dose within two hours of previous dose.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of lung disease, asthma, liver or kidney disease, low blood pressure, blood-clotting problems, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Most Common:
Flushing, increased cough, headache, flu syndrome, nausea, vomiting, muscle cramp, dizziness, diarrhea, low blood pressure, sleeplessness and fainting.
• Serious: Congestive heart failure, chest pain, fast heart rate, difficulty in breathing, peripheral edema and kidney failure.
Avoid excess dosage.
It may affect patient’s blood pressure and platelet count, monitor blood pressure and blood count regularly.
Store it at room temperature (20 – 25°C), and in an airtight container.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!