This medication is a sex hormone, prescribed for treating conditions due to menopause, treating vulval or vaginal atrophy, prostate cancer, and preventing osteoporosis (brittle bones). It is also used for estrogen replacement therapy after failure of the ovaries and to relieve the symptoms of breast cancer.
Contraindicated in patients with hypersensitivity; undiagnosed vaginal bleeding; clot in blood vessels; breast cancer, estrogen-dependent tumor; disorders of certain enzymes; pregnancy.
Estradiol dosage varies according to indication and route of administration.
It may be administered orally, as an intramuscular injection or applied to the skin or mucous membranes.
• Conditions that become more severe with estrogen include fluid retention; increase in calcium level, poor blood flow to the brain, coronary artery disease, gall bladder diseases; lipid effects; familial defects of lipoprotein metabolism.
• May increase blood pressure, risk of blood clot in the vein, breast cancer, benign tumor of the liver, endometrial cancer, dementia and size of preexisting uterine fibroid.
• Dosage should be reduced in liver problem and during breastfeeding.
• It should not be used in children.
• Central Nervous System:
Headache, dizziness, sleeplessness, depression, anxiety, nervousness, migraine.
• Gastrointestinal: Abdominal distension, abdominal pain, flatulence, nausea, constipation, upset stomach , diarrhea, bleeding, toothache, tooth disorder.
• Skin: Rash, itching, inflammation of the skin, skin scar.
• Heart: Temporary loss of consciousness and posture, vein inflammation.
• Genitourinary: Abnormal bleeding during menstrual cycles, breast pain, breast tenderness, vaginal bleeding, vaginal discomfort, blood in urine, urinary incontinence.
Monitor blood sugar level regularly, in case if you have diabetes.
Store it at room temperature.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Sleep disorders are collectively known as ''Somnipathy.'' There are over 70 different medically ...
Unintended pregnancies are very common these days, and so one in about four pregnant women go for ...
Dizziness is a feeling of being faint or unsteady whereas Vertigo is a feeling that you or your ...View All