This medication is an anticoagulant (blood thinner) that prevents blood clots in persons undergoing surgery. Along with aspirin this medication is prescribed for heart attack, unstable angina (chest pain). It is also used to reduce the recurrence of blood clots in certain cancer patients and during dialysis.
Hypersensitivity, active major bleeding, severe coagulation disorders; lumbar puncture; sympathetic block; brain, spinal cord, eye or ear surgery; severe hypertension.
Subcutaneous- Unstable angina, Heart Attack-
Adult: 120 IU/kg every 12 hour continued for 5-8 days with concomitant low-dose of aspirin. Max: 10,000 IU every 12 hours.
The recommended dose is 2500 IU to 5000 IU once daily for prophylaxis; 100uU/kg 12 hourly or 200 U/kg 24 hourly for treatment of DVT.
Extended Treatment of Symptomatic Venous Thromboembolism in Cancer Patients- Adults:Subcutaneous For the first 30 days of treatment, give 200 IU/kg once daily (max, 18,000 units/day). Months 2 to 6: Administer 150 IU/kg once daily (max, 18,000 IU/day).
Prophylaxis of clotting in extracorporeal circulation in haemodialysis or haemofiltration -Adult: 30-40 units/kg via IV injection, followed by an IV infusion of 10-15 units/kg/hour. A single dose of 5000 units may be given for haemodialysis or haemofiltration session lasting <4 hour. For patients at high risk of bleeding complications or who are in acute kidney failure: 5-10 units/kg via IV injection followed by an infusion of 4-5 units/kg/hour.
It comes as a solution for injection, to be injected under the skin (Subcutaneously) by a healthcare provider.
• Monitor coagulation time.
• Caution needed for patients with history especially of: bleeding disorders, ulcers, liver disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, heart disease, strokes, allergies (especially to heparin or pork). This medication should be used only if clearly needed during pregnancy or while breast-feeding.
Hair loss, skin necrosis.
• Genitourinary: Blood in urine.
• Blood: Any bleeding event, blood clot in the spine.
• Hypersensitivity: Allergic reactions, including itching, rash, fever, injection-site reaction, hypersensitivity reactions.
• Local: Injection-site blood clot, wound hematoma, injection-site pain.
Do not administer by IM injection.
Injection: Store below 25°C. Store it in airtight container and keep away from children.
Some drugs or therapeutic agents cause undesirable reactions in lungs, known as drug-induced ...
Sleep disorders are collectively known as ''Somnipathy.'' There are over 70 different medically ...
Unintended pregnancies are very common these days, and so one in about four pregnant women go for ...View All