This medication is a polymyxin antibiotic, prescribed for infections caused by bacteria. The antibiotic fights against the bacteria in the body.
PO- GI infections; Bowel sterilization- 1.5-3 million units 3 times/day.
IV/IM- GI infections; Bowel sterilization as colistimethate Na: 6 million units/day in 3 divided doses. Max: 6-million units/24 hour.
Inhalation- Adjunct to antimicrobial therapy in respiratory infections as colistimethate Na: 1-2 million units twice daily. Max: 2 million units 3 times/day for up to 3 month in frequent recurrent infections.
It comes as a syrup to take by mouth.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of preexisting kidney impairment, disorders of neuromuscular transmission, during pregnancy and lactation.
• Monitor liver enzyme level and Blood Urea Nitrogen level regularly while on treatment.
• Central Nervous System: Tingling of extremities and tongue, slurred speech, dizziness and fainting.
• Skin : Generalized itching, hives and rash.
• Body as a Whole : Fever.
• Respiratory : Respiratory disorder and shortness of breath.
• Genitourinary : Kidney damage and decreased urine output.
Avoid excess dosage and alcohol consumption.
Store reconstituted solution in refrigerator at 2°-8°C (36°-46°F) or between 20°-25°C
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!